I have been relatively quiet this Mercury retrograde on this blog, mainly because work has suddenly accelerated, and I have deadlines to meet before I travel for two weeks from 13 September. I seem to travel a lot during Merc rx! (Trust me, I wish I didn’t have to!!)
This may just be the retrograde of retrogrades because there is a lot of other stuff happening astrologically while Mercury retrogrades at this time, in that the outer planets are on the move. Because the outer planets remain in direct motion or retrograde for such long periods of time, the point where they change directions or change signs or make exact contact with other planets can be momentous.
The current retrograde period will run from 7 to 29 September. During this time, Mercury will be making contact with several outer planets, which are themselves about to shift positions. Some of these contacts are:
- 7 September: Retrograde station in a t-square with Mars and Pluto
- 11 September: Pluto goes direct in Capricorn, having been in retrograde since April 2009 (See also my post honouring this event)
- 15 September: Saturn in Virgo moves into exact opposition to Uranus in Pisces (see also)
- 17 September: Mercury rx at 0 Libra square Pluto in Capricorn
- 18 September: New Moon in Virgo conjunct Saturn in Virgo (and Mercury rx) opposite Uranus in Pisces
- 22 September: Mercury rx conjunct Saturn in Virgo opposite Uranus in Pisces
- 8 October (shadow phase): Mercury direct conjunct Saturn in Virgo opposite Uranus in Pisces again
- 13 October (shadow phase): Jupiter goes direct in Aquarius, preparing to meet with Neptune and Chiron one last time in what has become known in my cyber-astrology circles as Lucy’s ‘Clusterfuck of Doom’ — I think many of us will be glad to see this one pass, though it will be a while before Neptune and Chiron separate too. Nevertheless, without Jupiter there overstating everything, this conjunction may yet reveal some positive surprises.
I’m not saying that Merc rx won’t be noticed or that it is unimportant with so much going on, but rather that because so much is going on, as well as Mercury going retrograde, we are likely to be processing the outer planet shifts through the mental review process that we are prompted to do every time the trickster planet does its backward dance. Probably not a bad thing, as Mercury shifts backwards on 18 September from fair-minded Libra into service- and organisation-driven Virgo. If there are any two signs in the zodiac for Mercury to express itself in a way that can help us make sense of the current craziness, it’s probably these two.
P.S. If you’re wondering what Willy Wonka has to do with anything, it’s about getting more than you bargained for, but still managing to have a trippy ol’ time anyway!
Video: Trailer for Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (Mel Stuart, USA 1971)